4 Nov 2013

Writing for Radio 4 Extra's "Chain Gang"

Chain Gang is a fun weekly radio series that's run every few years on BBC Radio 4 Extra. It's basically like the game Consequences - every week you can send in your suggestions as to what happens next, and with the help of ace writer Robert Shearman (late of Doctor Who - and probably a bit overworked on Thursdays) and a talented group of actors, it's turned into a three minute chunk of serial.

It was last on in 2009 - and I listened to it, but never sent anything in. (It was a bit crazy - I didn't know where to start, and I was pretty young considering) So when it came back a few weeks ago, I thought this time I'd enter. And after being shortlisted a couple of times, for Episode 4 - my plot was made! I was over the moon!



Episode 4 was pretty special, as you got the rare chance to kill somebody off! Perhaps mine got made because I was slightly more subtle about it (others used more direct methods, reportedly there were ten stabbings, eight shootings, and three death by croissants!).
When I listened to the previous part, I came up with a handy plot device quite quickly. Because Mark was going to die, let's give him a last chance to fill us in on his backstory.. and then surprise people! The idea of recording a tape has probably been used by somebody somewhere and I've remembered it, but I can't think of where myself. But I thought I'd thought of something pretty good, so I wrote it up in only about half an hour, and quickly sent off my 200 words.

Whilst it's now gone from the iPlayer, you can download Episode 4 from the Chain Gang podcast page.

In this blogpost, I thought I'd put up the original I sent in. You can compare this to what was made later - either the audio, or you can download the script here.

When I listened for the first time, I couldn't stop smiling, both at the things I'd recognised, and the extra things that had been added in. And it's probably a cliche to say this, but it sounded so much better, and more convincing, than I'd imagined!

Here's my original plot, for comparison:
Mark is speaking into a tape, telling us his side of the story. He asks Sally for confirmation - yes, the whole story, succinctly, starting from when they first met. His tone has the typical awkwardness we’ve come to expect of him, and Sally chips in here and there when he rambles too much.
He tells us about the luggage mix up after a holiday with the lads, and him swapping phone numbers and making Sally a consolatory cup of tea. He tells of their dates, some bad, some that went perfectly. And of Paris, of croissants, of what his mother thought. He tells us he’s the luckiest man in the world.
A click, a clunk. The tape stops. The nasty Scottish man addresses Sally, asks her to confirm the testimony was true, and we slowly realise that this was a recording, and Mark was saying of this quite some time ago. In fact, Mark hasn’t said anything for quite a long time...
Sally is clearly, audibly distraught. The old woman* is more friendly than the man, more comforting, more reassuring. Sally’s actions were for the best. Mark had to be dealt with...

And since my plot was made for the radio, I was interviewed. Yep - my voice, on the radio! Be sure to listen til the end of the podcast for that. And thanks, especially, to BBC Radio 4 Extra - it's an honour to be picked! Now, there's ten parts in all - and you could write the next ones! Listen to them all at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bv5fj and tell them what happens next!

(*apologies for describing the keeper of the safehouse as an 'old' woman - the actress is not! Well - it's radio - it can be anything!)

No comments: